Monday, March 30, 2009

A Wall of Hope to End MS

There are many things that make an MS Walk memorable. One annual tradition I’d like to mention, in particular, touches me deeply, no matter how many times I experience it...

It’s the Wall of Hope.

As part of the registration package, each Walker is given a blank form and encouraged to write why they are walking in the MS Walk. Their responses are posted on the Wall of Hope. Every year, whether I’m walking or helping out behind the scenes, I spend time reading the confessions of hope and affection inscribed on those little slips of paper.

One year I was reading the Wall when I my gaze faltered over one of hundreds of declarations. “I’m walking for my Aunty Barb,” the note confessed. It was signed in a young girl’s hand, “Missy.”

My best friend, Lori and her family were walking that morning. Her children always referred to me as their Aunty Barb, although I hadn’t earned the title through blood.

I swallowed the lump growing in my throat. Lori's pre-teen daughter, Missy had tucked her hope for a cure for me in amongst the sea of others’ heartfelt wishes.

This Walk had, quite suddenly, become personal. Missy was walking for her Aunty Barb. Although still quite young, Missy understood the gravity and importance of her walk that Sunday morning.

To Missy, who is in the wild whirlwind that comes from preparing for her June wedding: I love you so much. I hope you know your walk for MS so many years ago has helped bring us to this point in MS history – where we are on the brink of a cure.

Missy, we WILL end MS.

1 comment:

  1. Yes we will Aunty Barb, yes we WILL.
    I love you so much.

    Missy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...