Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fond memories of the MS Walk

Some of my fondest memories of being associated with the MS Society of Canada, and in particular the Scarborough chapter, are participating in the yearly WALKS.

Recalling my first walk experience in 1993, I was still in the initial stages of my journey with MS, and in a bad flare-up. I was far from well. But I was determined to walk, gimpy legs and all. My mother, husband and two little girls walked with me. As I stood in line to register, I was overcome with the urge to start shaking the hands of the people around me. I was overcome with emotion. Every single person in that line was there for one common purpose – to raise money to find a cure to end MS – the disease that was taking a toll on my body.

I choked back tears as I realized their sacrifice. They were prepared to walk many kilometres, no matter the weather, the time, or the aching feet that were sure to follow.

I realized that no matter the reason why each person walked, we were united in our humanity on that cold spring morning. We were all there to put an end to multiple sclerosis.

And every year since, I am there, ready to do whatever needs doing, joining with thousands across this great nation of ours, to raise money to beat MS.

Will you join me?

Let's walk and roll!

We will end MS.

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...