Monday, March 21, 2011

Participating in an MS Walks in the Niagara Region? Look to the sky for Lizzy Mcfly!


For several years now Elizabeth Murphy has been completing 3 MS Walks routes in one day! How does she do it? Hundreds of feet up in the sky, performing aerial acrobatics in her Cessna plane!

Elizabeth Murphy, better known as Lizzy Mcfly in the Niagara Region, exemplifies the spirit of a phrase which we often hear from those living with MS: “I’ve got MS but it doesn’t have me!” Lizzy has experienced MS symptoms since childhood, however, was not clinically diagnosed with multiple sclerosis until 2005 – the year which she calls her rebirth. She has approached living MS with positivity, drive and determination, knowing that every day may be difficult but every day is a celebration.


This diagnosis was not only the worst thing that ever happened to me, but it was also the best. I am so much more positive now. I don't take anything for granted, I'm extremely appreciative of everything good in my life, I don't sweat the small stuff and am much more relaxed. I try not to think of the future, but keep grounded in the present. Life is too short to dwell on the have-nots and negatives that are out of my control. It would be so easy for me to focus on the things I lost - my career goals, social life and recently being medically discharged from the Army Reserve after over ten years of service. I'm not going to give this disease that power.”

Lizzy also posts to a personal blog on her website which she updates regularly with stories about her personal life and recent flights. Interestingly, she also ends each blog post outlining the various symptoms which are affecting her that day, providing some insight into how she positively manages living with MS. It’s a fun site where Lizzy’s personality really shines through, showing us that MS is not something that can we can allow to ground us forever – we can continuously soar to new heights!

If you would like to donate to Lizzy’s fundraising campaign, you can visit her secure online fundraising page here.  

If you are in the Niagara Region, Lizzy will also be teaming up with hockey legend Marcel Dionne at “Marcel’s Store” (click here for a map) on April 13th in order to raise funds to end MS. 

Learn more about Lizzy at lizzymcfly.com.

Also, check out Lizzy’s interview with TV Cogeco – Niagara below:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...